Whether they are walking to the bus stop, walking in the parking lot or walking with friends to school, all kids are pedestrians at some time or another during the school day.
It gets more complicated as their safety can be compromised as they are more preoccupied with electronics/social media devices.
In our Home Alone Safety Course, we teach kids about pedestrian safety.
Here are some tips:
- Heads up and electronics down while crossing the road. Distracted walking is one of the leading cause of pedestrian injuries. We teach kids not to have their electronics out while crossing the street.
- Stop and look both ways before crossing the street.
- Do not walk between parked cars.
- Make sure the vehicles are at a complete stop before entering the crosswalk
- Make eye contact with the driver to be sure that the driver sees them.
- Remind them to walk on the sidewalks or paths and cross at the street corner, obeying all traffic signs. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing the traffic.
- Pay special attention to vehicles turning at the intersection, vehicles backing out of driveways.