- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on each floor and inside and outside of every bedroom.
- Check the vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace outside
- Keep matches and lighters away from young children and teach your kids the danger of playing with them.
Take care of your smoke alarms according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Below are some general maintenance tips.
- Replace the batteries at least once every year.
- Replace the entire smoke alarm every 10 years.
Practice an escape plan regularly with your family; there should be two ways out of every room and how to respond to the sound of a smoke alarm.